Most people don’t think too much about whether their bike is the right size for them, but the reality is that most bikes are designed for people under 6 feet tall. Being too tall for your bike is going to result in an awkward and uncomfortable riding experience. What most tall people with normal-sized bikes probably don’t even realize? — it doesn’t have to be this way. Actually being truly conformable on your bike makes riding that much more enjoyable. Here are some things to consider when shopping for a bike as a tall person:
- When sitting on the bike your knee should have only a slight bend when the peddle is as the bottom of the crank — no, 90 degrees is not slight
- If you’re leg is completely straight, the bike is too big and if you’re knee is bent so that when you peddle, your knee comes to nearly a right angle, your bike is too small
- If you’re between 6’2″ and 6’4″ you want to look for a frame size between 19 – 21 inches and wheel sizes between 26-29 inches
- If you’re 6’4″ or above you’ll be most comfortable with frame that is 21 inches or greater and a wheel size of at least 29 inches
- If you have a bike that needs a little more height, you can adjust your seat height to make it a bit taller
- Companies that make “tall people bikes” most often focus on building bikes with larger-than-normal wheels
Schwinn Huron Beach Cruiser
up to 6'2"
If you’re looking for beach cruiser at a great deal, you’ll want to consider this Schwinn Huron beach cruiser with a starting price of only $299. Schwinn is known for making quality bikes.
Though this bike is not for the tallest of the tall, it can support riders up to 6’2″ and likely a bit taller with an adjustment of the seat and handle-bars.
With it’s wide, dual-spring padded seat your going to be riding in comfort on this budget-friendly beach cruiser.
Tracer Avalon 26 Inch Beach Cruiser
up to 6'4"
While his beach cruiser may not be a great fit for those over 6’4″, it is a stylish bike that is going to provide a comfortable and smooth ride with its 4-inch fat tires and an extra-large spring saddle. With an optional 7-speed, and 3 paint options, this is a very solid beach cruiser, that will fit most people between 5’5″ and 6’4.”
Sixthreezero Around the Block Men's Cruiser
up to 6'4"
This classic-styled beach cruiser made by Sixthreezero comes in five colors and two sizes. Taller riders will want to choose the 19 inch frame, which comes with 26 inch wheels. This bike also comes with options for 3-speed, 7-speed and 21-speed for those looking for take their cruisers on more challenging terrain.
Clydesdale BFG - 32 inch wheel bicycle
up to 6'5" - 7'4"
Bigandtallbike.com makes it easy for tall guys by allowing you to simply select your height and they will send you a bike that fits. This premium titanium model will set you back a pretty penny, but may be worth it for serious riders. The site also offers less expensive models that start in the mid-2Ks. This custom all-purpose bike is a great investment that will last you a lifetime.
2021 KHS BNT Mountain Bike
up to 6'5" - 7'
You can also pickup mountain bikes at Bigandtallbike.com. This particular 12-speed model is built from high-quality parts which are desgned to handle off-road conditions. With 29 inch wheels and two frame sizes, XXL and XXXL, this KHS mountain bike is built for tall riders only.